Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

what do i do if my dog eats marijuana

Customer Question

my dog ate medical marijuana.
he is acting lazy and not himself.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 9 years ago.
HiCustomer

Marijuana can be toxic. It is likely he needs Vet care. Vets are used to seeing this and usually don't ask questions and are not required by law to report it. You can read more about this here:
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_marijuana_toxicity.html

THC is stored in the fat and thus the affects of it can last for days. You can burn some toast and see if you can get that down him to absorb some of the toxin. You may want to switch to pedialyte so his electrolytes stay in balance. Put a drop of pancake syrup on his tongue to keep his glucose levels up. Monitor his temperature. It should be between 101-102.5F. You want to keep him warm so if it starts dropping, cover him with a blanket. If need be, warm dry towels on the belly can help. I do urge you to have your dog seen by your vet.

I hope this information is helpful to you.