Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator

my 8 year old dog is leaking fluid from her vagina or her ...

Customer Question

my 8 year old dog is leaking fluid from her vagina or her rectum it is clear
has not been herself for a week
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 9 years ago.

Hi Teresa,

I am sorry to hear your dog is not feeling well. If the dog is having a discharge from her vagina then she may have an infection of the urinary tract or the vagina itself. This would require a few weeks of antibiotics. I have recently been though this myself with my girl and after four days of antibiotics she was her old self again. You can read more on this here.

If it is from the rectum then it may be that the anal sacs are full.Generally dogs will scoot along the ground or carpet to try to express them. Since the dog is not herself I would more suspect an infection such as mentioned above. Anal sacs that are full would be annoying but the dog would not be in a down state.