Peter Bennett, DVM
Peter Bennett, DVM, Veterinarian
Experience:  20 years experience as a Small Animal veterinarian
854596

What does it mean if my dog has crystals in her urine.

What does it mean if my dog has crystals in her urine. good and
bad type. And how did they get there? Help
Category: Dog
Expert:  Peter Bennett, DVM replied 7 years ago.
Crystals in the urine get there by forming from compounds in the urine that come out of solution when the acidity of the urine is not right, i.e. high pH. Sounds like results from a urinalysis?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to XXXXX XXXXX, DVM's Post: Hi Peter,

What are they types or crystals and how does
my dog get rid of them. Through diet, or
medical intervention. What kind of problems
can result from this. Should our dog be on
a special diet. I read that Pumpkin and squash
were good for her. Please advise.

Thanks.

Sandy
How do you know she has crystals in her urine? They are microscopic, and seen under the microscope during a urinalysis. If you see crystals in dried urine on the floor, this is simply from drying.

There are several types of crystals, you have to tell me what type they are...I have no way of knowing otherwise.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to XXXXX XXXXX, DVM's Post: We took our dog to the vet because she seemed
depressed and lacked energy. They did a battery
of tests and also took a urine sample. They
sent the urine to a lab and told me today that
our dog had crystals in her urine. They want to
do a follow-up in 2 weeks to see if the crystals
go away. They are triple phosphate crystals.
My main concern is how to get rid of these
crystals. And, how dangerous is this?
Triple phosphate is an old term for struvite crystals. These are very common, as crystals go, urine crystals. They tend to form in alkaline urine, which can be influenced by diet. Does this mean a dietary restriction? Not on just this basis.

these crystals tend to collect in larger masses, and become small gritty objects, and in turn larger and larger. some of the large bladder stones are struvite, and they are significant compared to the size of the dog.

Are the dangerous...not in themselves. If they cause the urethra to become blocked, then yes. If they produce a stone too large to become a plug, then it is a safe haven for bacteria to hide and cause recurrent bouts of cystitis.

Here is a link to struvite crystals and stones.

If your dog isn't having bladder problems, then these findings are considered 'incidental' to the problem you are trying to solve If your dog is just not herself, she may be generating an alkaline urine because of whatever is ailing her, which could go away on it's own if her malady disappears, either on it's own or with some medical help.

I hope this now is of help in answering your question. Best wishes.
Peter Bennett, DVM, Veterinarian
Experience: 20 years experience as a Small Animal veterinarian