Gina, Breeder and Health Care Specialist
Experience:  20+ years experience in animal health care. Hobby breeder of Olde English Mastiffs and owned by an English Bulldog.

My miniature pinscher (blue coat) has dry skin and a very ...

My miniature pinscher (blue coat) has dry skin and a very dry nose.
What can I do for these conditions?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Gina replied 9 years ago.
There are a few things you can do to help with your baby's skin and nose. There are suppliments you can add to their daily regimen that will add oils to their skin. :) You can see some of them here:

I really like Vitacoat plus :)

You can also add a fish oil tab, found in your vitamin isle of your local drug store to the daily regimen. :)

Make sure you are feeding a high quality food like Eagle Pack Holistics. :) Read more about the skin formula below:

You might consider talking to your vet to rule out any medical problems like a thyroid condition also. :)

Good luck with your baby :)
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Can you give more specific information pertaining to the blue coat miniature pinscher?
Expert:  Gina replied 9 years ago.
Unfortunately, I do not have personal experience with the breed color but its not going to stop me from trying to help you further :) I found a very informative website regarding this color specifically :)

I hope it helps you and your baby and, since it is a great website, I am sure the owner would love to address any specific questions you should have regarding the blue pin. :)
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thanks for the info, I'd already viewed this site and was hoping for more specific information.
Expert:  Gina replied 9 years ago.
I would really like to try to help you :) and am more than willing to do the research for the information you are looking for. Is there something specific you are looking to find out about regarding this?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
This color of miniature pinscher has a skin condition specific to the color. There is often a loss of hair as the result. In our situation, we are dealing with a 4 month old puppy that is experiencing no hair loss, but continuous itching (no fleas). There also is what appears to be a dandruff condition. Additionally, he has what appears to be an exceptionally dry nose.
Expert:  Gina replied 9 years ago.
Wonderful..thank you for being a bit more specific :) Hopefully I can help you fully now :)

Some dogs regardless of breed or color, have allergic reactions to ingredients in their food. Corn and Beef are the biggest problems and can cause the problems you are seeing. As mentioned above, I would try switching the food for starters. Also adding the oil or suppliment should help. There are special shampoos made for this also. I would try a nice oatmeal shampoo to give him some relief. Also, consider talking to your vet regarding this as he may even have a thyroid condition causing it. :) If he is not on a monthly flea preventative, you can add that monthly as it is possible to have a reaction to a bite and not have the fleas itself. Likely not the cause but thought I would mention it. :) You can read more here:

Schedule an appointment with your vet to discuss this as an other possibility is the start of pemphigus foliaceus:

I hope this has helped you further :)
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I understand that shampooing this breed is harmful. It is suggested that they be wiped with a warm cloth instead of bathing. Any suggestions for making the puppy smell better?
Expert:  Gina replied 9 years ago.
OVER shampooing any breed can be harmful to the skin and yes, you can wipe them but if there is an odor it is possibly the start of a yeast infection. This can be treated with a benzoyle peroxide shampoo.