NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics

I found a hole in my dogs skin. It is right under his ...

Customer Question

I found a hole in my dogs skin. It is right under his front leg. It is a hole about the 1/4" round. What could this be? He is licking it alot.
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 9 years ago.
Does it look like there might be something in the hole?
Was it filled with mucous?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: We squeezed some puss out and that it all
Expert:  NancyH replied 9 years ago.
This might be an abscess that popped open and is draining and for that you can try cleaning it out with betadine iodine solution or 3% hydrogen peroxide and then applying some neosporin or triple antibiotic ointment which won't hurt her if she licks it.
Before you do that you can use a hot damp compress to help draw infection and get it draining. You can do all that a couple times a day and should see changes for the better pretty quickly if its just a small infection.
But there is a possibility this is a parasite called a cuterebra fly larve. If the hole just stays open with mucous in it and doesn't scab over then that might be the problem. You can read about this here
If your home care doesn't clear this up in a day or so then I'd see the vet about it.
Hope this helps you!