NancyH
NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics
127115

I found a hole in my dogs skin. It is right under his ...

Customer Question

I found a hole in my dogs skin. It is right under his front leg. It is a hole about the 1/4" round. What could this be? He is licking it alot.
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 10 years ago.
Does it look like there might be something in the hole?
Was it filled with mucous?
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: We squeezed some puss out and that it all
Expert:  NancyH replied 10 years ago.
This might be an abscess that popped open and is draining and for that you can try cleaning it out with betadine iodine solution or 3% hydrogen peroxide and then applying some neosporin or triple antibiotic ointment which won't hurt her if she licks it.
Before you do that you can use a hot damp compress to help draw infection and get it draining. You can do all that a couple times a day and should see changes for the better pretty quickly if its just a small infection.
But there is a possibility this is a parasite called a cuterebra fly larve. If the hole just stays open with mucous in it and doesn't scab over then that might be the problem. You can read about this here
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/71500.htm
If your home care doesn't clear this up in a day or so then I'd see the vet about it.
Hope this helps you!