S. August Abbott, CAS
S. August Abbott, CAS, Own Animal Care/Rescue Org.
Experience:  We rescue what others leave behind; Animal Care author; Behavior & Nutrition Consults

My dog just ate some chicken salad with me and after eating ...

My dog just ate some chicken salad with me and after eating it i noticed the expiration date had did not taste bad, maybe odd tho. What should I do about food poisoning from the chicken salad?
How was this packaged and kept? Did you open it for the first time to eat it? How far past expiration was it?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to TheCaretaker's Post: I just purchased it at Sam's club today so it still had the factory plastic seal on was 4 days past the expiration date.

It's very likely perfectly fine. The expiration dates on foods are general guidelines for the dates that commercial sales should be stopped. Foods can last for weeks or longer past expiration dates if kept in appropriate conditions.

Both you and your companion should have no ill effects.

If there is any problem with this, it will show up as nausea, vomiting, stomach cramps, diarrhea and perhaps fever - in the next several hours.

Under these circumstances it would be worth calling your doctor and doggy's vet.

Hope this helps put your mind at ease - and you have a good night .

Here's a valuable link for even more details about those hard to follow 'expiration' dates

(Thank you for your accept - you do not have to hit accept again)