Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator

dog foams from the mouth while eating

just while he's eating he foams a little bit from one side of his mouth. i was wondering if maybe he has a bad tooth.

Hi mjs pfi,

If there were a tooth problem the dog would probably not be eating. But check for discolored teeth or gums. There may be something going on there. Dogs will foam if they eat to fast. Try slowing down the eating habit by putting an unopened can of vegetables in the middle of the dish so the dog has to eat around it. If this works then there are bowls with cylinders already in them for just this reason. Also add some water to the dry food. If the food swells when water is added then wait for the swelling to occur before giving it to the dog.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Sally Grott's Post: Usually when he eats I have to toss him 1 piece at a time so I'm sure he's not eating too fast. I'll try adding water to the dry food. Would you recommend I take him to the vet?

I'm a bit confused, are you hand feeding the dog one kibble at a time? Will he not eat a bowl placed in front of him?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Sally Grott's Post: My mom watches him 2 days a week and she thought it was fun to toss him his food one bit at a time. So now that's his preferred way of eating.
Okay, the wait for the food to reach his mouth may have him salivating in anticipation of the next morsel. I would try putting a full bowl of food in front of him, water it down and see how he does. If this is a large breed raise the bowl to chin height.