Bully Breeder
Bully Breeder, Veterinary Assistant
Experience:  10 years breeding, 6 years in Veterinary medicine, Lifetime of Dog ownership

dog: has very sensitive skin..I bought a bottle of baby shampoo..bathe

My dog has very sensitive skin (breaks out in hives for unknown reasons) and I bought a bottle of baby shampoo and was told later to never use baby shampoo on a dog. Why would this be bad? Since birth whenever I bathe any of my dogs I have always used baby shampoo on their faces. Help! What should I use to bath her? She is a Shiztu/Lsasa mix and 8.5 years old.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Bully Breeder replied 9 years ago.
Hello, the reason you do not use peopel shampoo on dogs is because human shampoo is too ruff on a dogs skin and will dry ther skin out too much. If you are looking for a gentle shampoo for your dogs sensative skin I would use an oatmeal based shampoo to ease the skin. You can also find tearless shampoo for your dogs that is especially made for puppies and adult dogs. I hope this was help[ful but if you need antyhing else be sure to let me know.