Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator

german shepherd: very itchy skin..itching..licking herself..belly

My dog (part lab and german shepard, 32lbs) has very itchy skin and she is constantly itching and licking herself. Her skin pigment is turning black on her belly. It sometimes looks worst than other times. I give her bendryl to help with the itching. 3 pills at night. Why is her pigment turning black color? Is it normal or is there something more serious going on. Her eating habits and activity are normal. Her bowels are normal.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 9 years ago.

Hi marcygl,

Your dog may have allergies to food or airborne particles.(rag weed, pollen,grass,etc) Generally dogs will lick and scratch with allergies. If the licking is excessive the skin pigment can change. Dogs with allergies may develop Atopy which is basically another skin problem. I am going to direct you to sites on this for further review.

food allergies:

Airborne allergies:

Also the German Shepherd part of this breed is prone to pyoderma which is a bacterial skin infection. This will show symptoms of itchy skin lesions, pustules and draining sores. If you see this happening then that is probably what is going on.