How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ChristineLVT Your Own Question
ChristineLVT, Certified Veterinary Technician
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 3307
Experience:  Licensed veterinary technician (B.S. Mercy College), 10 yrs in animal medicine and training
Type Your Dog Question Here...
ChristineLVT is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is witch hazel poison for dogs if swallowed on a ...

Customer Question

Is witch hazel poison for dogs if swallowed on a cotton ball?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  ChristineLVT replied 9 years ago.

It is not exactly a poison, but can cause toxic reactions, depending on your individual dog's reaction to it and the amount. IThere is unfortunately no set "toxic dose" as each dog reacts different to it. It doesn't sound like your dog could've had much luckily, but signs to look for that it is affecting him/her:

constipation, vomiting, nausea (most likely this or nothing). But- in severe cases of large ingestion, can cause seizures (and in a rare few where tons are ingested, fatal.)

If you want to be on the safest side, go to an emergency vet for activated charcoal treatment, or keep a good eye on her and take her at the first sign of any symptoms. I don't mean to scare you, as this was a very tiny amount, but do think you should know what the lesser chances are as well. Likely, she'll be fine.

Best of luck. Let me know if I can help further.