Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator

Why would my dog moan when he lays down sometimes or when ...

Why would my dog moan when he lays down sometimes or when he shifts positions from laying from one place to another? Our vet said it could just be that he is restless or just plain bored. Another suggestion was that since he has IBD he may moan when his tummy hurts him or when he has a lot og gas in his tummy. What do you think and what could help him feel better if its due to pain?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 9 years ago.

HI Shelly Oliva,

Can you tell me what breed this is?

How old?

How are the eating and drinking habits? Is he a fast eater, slow eater?

What about elimination, normal? (urine and stool)

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Zeus is a 6 year old westie.

His eating and drinking habits are great! He is eating Natural Balance duck and potato dog food and has been for a year. He sometimes does eat pretty fast and then ends up letting out a huge burp shortly after eating.

His eliminationn is normal other than when he has his minor IBD flare-ups in which his stool becomes a little soft.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 9 years ago.

Thank you for that information. This breed is prone to hip dysplasia and this may be what is going on with Zeus. Hip dysplasia would cause a stiffness in the joints which would have him shift his weight from side to side. Has your vet checked for this?

They are also prone to patellar luxation which is a disorder of the kneecap. You may see limping with this.

Eating too fast may be a cause of stomach upset. Try feeding smaller meals throughout the day, and putting in an unopened can of vegetables in the middle of the dis. This will cause him to eat slower. There are bowls that have cylinders already in them for this reason. If you find that slowing down the eating helps then you can invest in one of the bowls. Some people will also use a bunt pan.

I am going to direct you to a site on your breed so you may see the prone illness and the treatments. Scroll to the bottom of the page. When you see an illness you want to read about click on it and another page will open.

There is an expert with us that raises Westies so if my information is not helpful then I can direct the question to her when she is online.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Our vet has checked for the first 2 issues and has ruled them out. She is thinking more along the lines of possibly eating too fast or needing a food change due to IBD. I think I may try your suggestion of the can in the middle of the bowl. Sometimes he is so excited about eating that he swallows some kibbles whole without chewing.