Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 30+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues
5071285

My dogs foot pad has been bleeding for about 6

My dog's foot pad has been bleeding for about 6 months and won't stop. My vet cannot figure it out. She x-rayed her foot, used anesthesia to probe the wound, but can't find anything. I personally think she might have a small sliver of glass stuck in her foot, since I own a glass shop and she comes to work with me. I tried a fungal cream, but it seemed to make it worse. I put Neosporin on it all the time. I have purchased many different types of boots to protect her feet, but it won't heal. It used to appear to be just one wound, but now there are several wounds. I can take a photo and upload it if it would help. She does lick the wound whenever I take the bandage off, but I don't think the licking is causing the wounds. I have spent $900 trying to figure out what's wrong. I would love to take her to a specialist-maybe a dog podiatrist? I live in New Port Richey, FL zip code 34655, if you know of a vet who could help me.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 7 years ago.

Hi Missyosow,

Have you tried this Veterinary group? They have quite a few specialists.

http://www.tbvs-inc.com/ or this group http://www.amccc.com/tour.html

Both are State of the Art. The Cooper City group are working with a client I sent down to them with a Liver shunt and Kidney problems.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I guess I could try the one in Largo. It's still pretty far and I would have to take off an entire day of work to go. I don't mind doing so if I am positive that I will get an answer. So far, I have been to 3 vets, all by referral, with no answers. Whenever I call a new vet, I try to ask them before I come in if they have heard of this problem or can help, but they just tell me to make an appointment. I make an appointment, have procedures, and still don't get answers. I am disgusted with the time and money I have put into this. I was hoping to get some online answers or suggestions as to what the problem could be, rather than to keep going to vets that cannot seem to figure out what is wrong. I would like to go to a specialist, as long as I know the specialist has dealt with the type of problem I'm having, and could just fix the problem. I am really looking either for suggestions as to what could be wrong, or a referral to a specific specialist who has experience with this type of problem and can fix it.
Expert:  Joan replied 7 years ago.

HiCustomer

Try the Vet in Cooper City via phone. I have the client who has her Yorkie with them. They were the only ones who found out about the Liver Shunt and the Kidney problems causing Asities(Swelling of water in the abdomen) They have State of the Art Equiptment. They have the MRI which is great for diagnosing an illness that cannot be found in other ways. I would call for a phone consult, before going anywhere. You have been through so much, there is no need to travel without a consult. Most specialist will set up through your Vet. There is also a Clinic in Orlando that has the MRI. The only other place I would think of is The University of Fl., Veterinary College. I hate for you to keep running all over, but I want to see you get some resolve. I think the clinic that has an MRI may get you some answers that have not been found yet. Please don't just run around for you and your dog, make the call ask for a Phone consult. The records can be faxed and x-rays can be e-mailed. Please let me know what you decide. I wish I could give you more of a diagnosis or help, but unfortunately all I can offer is some specialists that may come up with the answers you need. Joan Jav917

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
As I mentioned earlier, I really am looking for the name of a specialist who will definitely be able to help me with this problem. I need the name of a specialist who is near me. Cooper City is over 5 hours away on the other side of the state. Like I said, I have been sent to 3 vets, with no answers. I need to know that the next time I go, it is to a specialist who will fix the problem. If you know of a specialist in my area who has dealt with this problem, or if you have any opinions as to what the problem is, I am open to advice. I can just enter keywords "veterinarian specialist florida" and it will give me lots of specialists, but I need to know which one is knowledgeable of this problem.
Expert:  Joan replied 7 years ago.

HiCustomer

I wish I could give you a better and more defined answer with a Vet who can diagnose and treat your dog. I would contact the State of Florida Vet. Association and see if they have a Vet in your area schooled in this type of problem. I wouldlike you to look at something similiar I found in cats and see if it remotely resembles your Dog.

http://www.balgownievet.com.au/1_com_mushy_pads.htm

This is in felines, but I want to see if the symptoms are the same? Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 7 years ago.

Just wondered if you had reviewed the link on Mushy Pad Disease? It sounds so much like what you have described. If it is similiar we may be able to narrow down a Vets.Office to be able to treat the foot. Joan Jav917

Expert:  Joan replied 7 years ago.

I have some new information after a consultation with Dr. Hanson, an Expert here on the forum. This is what was written to me. I hope this will help. This is a situation similiar to the Mushy Pad Disease in Cats that I had sent you the link for.

Per Dr. Hanson an expert here on the forums:

Dogs have a foot problem called pododermatitis. The dog has pododermatitis.

Pododermatitis can be caused by several things e.g. infections including fungal infection of the foot pads, auto-immunity e.g. pemphigus, or walking on a hot and/ or an abrasive ground surface.

A skin scraping of the dog's foot pad should be examined for dermatophytosis which is a fungal infection. Micatin Athlete's Foot Cream might help to partially eradicate dermatophytes which sometimes can cause a dog's foot pads to slough, peel, and bleed.

The dog may have walked on broken pieces of glass and then the foot pads healed-over. When a dog has a foreign body in its foot pad the pad will quickly heal-over the foreign body so that by the time the owner realizes that their dog has a problem it is after the foreign body has become imbedded inside the foot pad. The particles of glass will be eventually eliminated but may cause intermittent bleeding. Removing the glass particles might require extensive surgery which could be unnecessarily traumatizing to the dog.

Apply soothing cool soaks with Burow's solution to the dog's affected foot pad a couple of times a day. Apply doggie booties and keep him from walking on abrasive or hot ground surfaces.

The dog may have pemphigus foliaceus. Pemphigus foliaceus is characterized by erosions and encrustations of the skin. Autoantibodies are present in the skin which cause a separation of the cornified from uncornified cell layers. High doses of glucocorticoids are used initially, and then low-dose, alternate-day therapy is used once the disease is under control.

A common cause of pododermatitis especially in the summer is when a dog has a hot cement or gravel dog run in the owner's backyard without a cool area for the dog to walk on. The dog's feet will burn and form calluses that will break-off and bleed and then heal and then burn and break-off and bleed in a repeating cycle. In these cases the dog needs to have a soft cool ground cover to walk on and should have his foot pads treated by applying ice cold soothing compresses to his feet.

I recommend that she apply cool soothing ice rubs along with the Burow's soaks to her dog's foot pads at least twice a day. This will treat any infectious process, and it will also constrict the blood vessels in his foot pads which will relieve the bleeding and hopefully once the bleeding stops this will help to heal his feet. Have the dog wear doggie booties until his foot pads heal. http://www.kooldawgtees.com/FidoDogBooties.html

I hope this will help! I have tried hard to see that your Dog gets the right care and you no longer get the run around. Joan Jav917

Joan, Vet Tech
Experience: Vet Tech for over 30+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues