Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

my dog has really bad breath and he burps a lot and they ...

Customer Question

my dog has really bad breath and he burps a lot and they smell very bad also has bad gas    all these things have the same awful smell   can i give him something
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 9 years ago.
Hi Steinmom,

Many problems can cause bad breath in a dog. The most common cause is dental problems and you can usually spot these as you can see tartar on the teeth and possibly red gums and darkened teeth. Kidney problems or diabetes can also cause bad breath as can a stomach upset or your dog licking his anal glands which are seeping due to being overfull, though you usually can smell this cause at both ends of your dog.

Given the bad gas and burping, I suspect your dog may have parasites or a protozoan infection as these can cause stomach noises and gas. I'd have your vet do a fecal exam to check for parasites. For additional information about worms, see this site

Common dewormers are Panacur, which is a prescription product so you need to obtain it from your Vet and it works on roundworms and whipworms. Wormers labeled as Pyrantel Pamoate are the best over the counter medication for roundworms. Drontal plus is also a prescription product and is used for the treatment of Tapeworms, though dewormers with praziquantel work well against tapeworms.   Revolution and Interceptor as well as other heartworm medications also control whipworms and roundworms. Another reason to keep your dog on Heartworm medication.

Nausea as I stated could be the cause as well though there is an underlying reason for the nausea. Pepto-Bismol can be given to a dog at 1 tsp per 5 pounds every 6 hours for upset stomach, gas, or diarrhea. You may want to add some good bacteria to your dog's stomach in the form of a few tablespoons of yogurt on the food a few times a week.

I hope this information is helpful to you.