Terri Riba
Terri Riba, Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in canine health and behavior. 20 years of experience with dogs

My dog is lethargic, not eating, has bloody urine and ...

My dog is lethargic, not eating, has bloody urine and throwing up. It is 9:00 pm. Is it safe to wait until morning to take her to the vet or should I take her to the emergency clinic (it is 40 miles away)?

What age, breed and weight is she?

is she spayed?

what did she eat just befor she got sick?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Terri Riba's Post: She is a 4 year old yorkie, 15 lbs, spayed. She ate normally yesterday. Was restless last night, and must have eaten some grass. Threw up grass this morning. When we came home from work, found her lethargic. She is not eating (which is not at all like her - she is normally a voracious eater). She is on a diet of Science Diet ZD. She did have some Kraft Mac & Cheese last night (just a couple of bites). She just drank some sugar water, and threw up some of it. Urine was heavily blood tinted (very red). I believe it was urine - possibly liquid stool?

Dear Zelda,

She may be dehydrated or hypglycemic. First put a drop of pancake syrup in her mouth to raise her blood sugar. Next give her unflavored pedialyte because plain sugar water is not replacing her electrolytes.Offer her boiled chicken, beef or cottage cheese.

She may have a urinary tract infection,, hence the blood.She may have ingested a toxin.

If you cannot get her stable she should go to te ER tonight. She is tiny girl and It is always better to err on the side of caution with a beloved pet becase you can never turn back the clock.

Please let me know how yur baby is doing as soon as you get home. I hope she will be fine.

Very sincerely,

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
She is drinking the pedialyte. She just had another bloody excrement - it is bowel, not urinary. What do you mean by stable? I'd rather wait and take her to a familiar doctor, if the danger is not immediate.

Stable means not dehydrated - her skin springs back when pulled up at the scruff. Eating a bit of boiled chicken or cottage cheese,no pale gums, not lethargic, etc.

The blood may be from a parasite or eating grass.

How is she now?

is she eating?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Terri Riba's Post: Took Brigid to vet early this AM. She had been boarded 10 days ago. Vet believes she has viral gastroenteritis. He is keeping her for a couple of days to watch and rehydrate.

Thanks for your help, Terri!

Hi Zelda,

I am so glad Brigid is OK!! Please keep me updated on how she does.

Thank you for your accept!!

Very sincerely,