Bully Breeder
Bully Breeder, Veterinary Assistant
Experience:  10 years breeding, 6 years in Veterinary medicine, Lifetime of Dog ownership
3569931

My 12 week old puppy had diarrhea this week after switching ...

My 12 week old puppy had diarrhea this week after switching dog foods. I gave her a little Kaopectate, Gatorade and some chicken boullion soup to rehydrate her and she was fine the next day. She had to have her 12 week shots (we gave them to her) and did fine with the shot but then the diarrhea is back a day after her shot. Some of it is formed, some runny. We also switched her back to the puppy food she was on after she was better. She was on dewormer every two weeks until 10 weeks old and has had her 6,9 and 12 week shots and kept indoors up until two weeks ago. We've let her be outside in a pen some in the mornings. Any suggestions? Should I get a fecal exam done?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Bully Breeder replied 9 years ago.
Hello, having a fecal done would not be a bad idea, but more than likley the loose stool is comming formt he switching of food combined with the vaccines. Some dogs will react to vaccines by hainv loose stools and if he Gi track was somewhat on the uneasy side to begin with the cshots may have just put her back over the edge. I would just give her a bland diet for a couple fo days until things balance out. Take a stool sample to the vet in the man time and once things balance out gradually add her puppy food into the bland diet mixture until you are down to just her puppy food. GI upsets and loose stools primarily happen when the diet changes as this upsets the good bacteria in the gut. Keepiong her food consistance should help witht he overal problem. You can also try adding a little plain yogurt and canned pumpkin(not pie mix) to the diet. This will help with the bacteria in the gut and also add more fiber to the diet to firm up the stools. I hope this helps some but if you need anything else be sure to let me know.