NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics

can a wolf spider bite kill a 6 month old pug puppie

Customer Question

my puppy had one hanging out of his mouth thursday night and he woke up real sick this morning he is not his happy self just laying around with eyes open looking at me in my lap
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 9 years ago.
Typically the bites from a wolf spider will cause pain, redness and swelling. Their fangs are big enough to cause a tear in the skin inside the mouth. The skin area where the bite happened can turn black. This sort of bite can cause swelling and pain for up to ten days.
I would suggest looking in his mouth to see if you can spot a sore area or tongue swelling etc.
If you do you can try a cold compress on the site to reduce pain and swelling (an icecube in a paper towel may work).
You can try some plain Benadryl at a dose of 1mg per pound of dog to see if that will help reduce any symptoms from the bite.
If his mouth hurts he may not be eating or drinking and you can see if you can get some fluids in him (water or plain pedialyte) by using a syringe, eye dropper, or even a sports top bottle to put fluid in his mouth. You can also see if some NutriCal, a sticky supplement from the pet supply store, right in his mouth will perk him up. You can also soften his food with water so that he can just lick it up if chewing is painful.
You may want to see your vet tomorrow to see if they suggest antibiotics or other meds to help him get over this.
Hope this helps you!