Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 16+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My dog still has not had her puppies! Its 10 days ...

My dog still has not had her puppies! It's 10 days today overdue as far as the only tie seen. Even allowing for late fertilization she should have been due by now. What do you think? I seen a little mucous earlier, and her temp was 99.9, but she's gotten all the way down to 99.5 days ago, and still nothing!!! I don't know what to think. The vet said last week that she was dilated, but so far nothing! She was nesting last week, but I don't notice anything now.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 7 years ago.
Hi Mastifflover,

I'm assuming that your vet has verified pregnancy since you were told she was dilated last week. Nesting is not unusual the last week of pregnancy, so that is normal behavior. However, I'd have her taken back in to your vet. Most vets I have worked with will induce labor once your female goes past 70 days.

There are three stages to labor. During the first stage the cervix dilates and contractions begin. Your female will be uncomfortable, restless, pace and pant. This lasts 6-18 hours. During the second part of labor, your female's contractions begin in ernest. Her water breaks and puppies are delivered usually after 10-30 minutes of pushing. All puppies are born during this stage. The third stage of labor is after all pups have been delivered and is when a dog still has small contractions to expell fluids and/or placentas from the uterus.

You can read more about this here:
http://www.2ndchance.info/caninelaborstages.htm

A dog’s gestational period (pregnancy) is approximately 63 days from breeding. One way of knowing when your dog with have her puppies is to take her temperature twice daily at the same time each day as her due date gets close. Keep a record of this.

A dog’s normal temperature is between 101-102.5F degrees. Her temperature may rise and fall during this time, but once her temperature falls below 99 degrees, she should go into labor in the next 24 hours. So far, by your post, your dog has not had the necessary temperature drop. The temperature drop is due to a reduction in serum progesterone levels and signals that the dog will start labor within 24 hours.

You can read about this at:
http://www.labbies.com/reproduction1.htm

You may also notice her breasts swelling during this last week of pregnancy and some milk leakage. Dogs will usually become restless and increase their digging and nesting behavior during the last week. You will notice an increase in her panting as well as a mucous discharge. You may also notice some abdominal contractions or rippling as her time grows closer. Do not be surprised if your dog is very restless and vomits as few times during this last week.

Once your dog's temperature has dropped, please do not leave her alone in case of complications. As she enters actual labor you should be able to see her contractions and most dogs will begin looking at their hindquarters. An increase of licking of the genitals is normal before and during labor. Be sure and have an emergency Vet’s phone number readily available just in case of an emergency during the birthing of the puppies.

Here is an excellent site about whelping.
http://www.k9web.com/dog-faqs/medical/whelping.html

Some other signs that my dogs always seem to exhibit are lack of appetite, frequent urination and frequent small, runny bowel movements in the day before labor starts. Frequently my dogs will start looking at their rears when the first real contractions start.

I hope you find this information helpful.
.
Experience: Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 16+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Are you saying this dog could dilate, and have discharge, and temperature drops, and not be pregnant?!!!! Oh boy! I thought she definitely was with all of that going on! I asked days ago about false pregnancy, and was told to watch for temperature drop, etc.
Mastifflover,

No I'm not saying she isn't pregnant, I was just verifying that indeed YOUR vet said she had dilated. As mentioned, you state her temperature has only dropped to 99.5. It needs to drop below 99 and usually goes to about 98.6 or so as a signal that delivery will occur in the next 24 hours. However, now that your dog is at 70 days from first mating, your vet should induce labor at your request. If you are not positive of the breeding date, I might give it another day or so. I wouldn't wait too much longer in case it is uterine inertia and she needs help.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Jane Lefler's Post: My vet is the one that said she was dilated last week. I am concerned about uterine inertia because I had another female that had that problem! Is there ever a chance that she could have all of these symptoms and NOT be pregnant?
Mastifflover,

Dogs shouldn't have dilation if they are not pregnant. This late in pregnancy, your vet could easily tell that your dog was pregnant or not as there should be puppy movement along with the dilation and whitish mucousy discharge.

If you are concerned with uterine inertia, then I'd take her in tomorrow morning and see about induction. That would give you all day to still consult with the vet in case of further problems without incurring ER costs as well.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Jane Lefler's Post: Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX you know what happens!
Mastifflover,

I will look forward to hearing from you. Remember, that if you found my answer helpful to hit the accept button so I will get credit for my answer to you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Jane Lefler's Post: False Pregnancy.........Oh Well maybe next time! :(