Patricia, Pet Consultant
Experience:  Several yrs. exp. with all types of pets, specializing in parrot care and behavior.

Can you use superglue to seal up a cut. It needs stiches ...

Can you use superglue to seal up a cut. It needs stiches but don't have the $700 one vet wants to charge for a cut almost an inch across. It's not infected or anything. Not sure how it happened.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Patricia replied 9 years ago.
Hi JP. You cannot use the over the counter product called Super Glue. It used to be assumed it was an okay thing to do but not after more extensive studies. There are many reasons, including but not limited to the possibility of it burning the tissues, causing necrosis of the tissues and being toxic. Here is a link to an article that explains the studies and why it has been decided this is not a safe thing to consider. Click here: Super Glue for Wound Closure There is a product that is totally safe for this purpose called Tissumend II Sterile. What I can't tell you for sure is where you can purchase it, other than through a vet. You might call your vet to see if he/she has any and if so, will they sell you some. You can also call regular pharmacies to see if they have it, or a similar, equally safe product. One other alternative is to use the butterfly bandages you can find at any pharmacy but for them to stick effectively, you will have to shave the area first. In the meantime, be sure you are keeping the wound clean and bacteria free by flushing several times a day with hydrogen peroxide and don't let the dog out unsupervised to make sure there is no rolling around in the dirt and getting the wound infected. I hope this will help you out but if you have more questions. just let me know. Patricia