Sarah, Professional Pet Care Provider
Experience:  Owner – Professional Pet Care Company, 20 yrs exp w/ Horses, Dogs, Cats, Equine Vet Tech

can clear eyes eye drops be used in dogs eyes

my one dog has a bit of runny eye and my other dog has red irration of his eyes.The grommer said I could use clear eyes ....just wanted to make sure
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sarah replied 9 years ago.

HiCustomer my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you.

On a short answer to the main question, yes, you can use artificial tears meant for humans in dog's eyes. Please don't get the medicated one, only the saline solution. (you can get the cheap store brand saline solution bottles for a lot less) This will have with dry eyes.

However, the later part of your comment sounds more like there are underlying issues you may want to address. Being that you live near Albany and it is the spring your dogs may have some pollen/allergy issues. Another possibility is to give your pooches some Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) type antihistamine 1 to 2 mg. per pound of body weight up to 3 times a day. (reduce this if there is kidney or liver issues).

The later may resolve the issue all together?

Let me know if this helped... keep in touch