Vet help
Vet help, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years experience as small animal vet, 21 years experience in the animal care field
883989

Black, Runny Texture, Mucous, Foul Smelling Stool

Hi I have an 8 year old male cocker mix. I took him to the vet 3 months ago due to diarrhea- Which was often a funny green or black (runny texture), with a foul smell, and layers of mucous. The doctor said my dog was just nervous and gave me Primor and Endosorb. His problem ceased for less than a month and it is back stronger than ever. My dog would never pee or poop in the house and now its a daily occurence- he hides under the table, and is extremely ashamed of himself- because he knows thats not acceptable- and I know he can't help it. I called the vet, the vet gave me the same perscription- this time it is not working at all! Its now only black, contains mucous, runny, with a foul smell. Every morning that he wakes up he seems like he is dying of thirst. At night he is restless, and continues to get up around 3 am every morning. I don't know what to do, and I don't want to take him back to the vet to here oh, he'll just get over it. What should I do??
Has your vet ever evaluated a stool sample to check for intestinal parasites?
Has your dog had any bloodwork done since this problem started?
Would you describe the color of the stool as being black, like tar?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to RGK's Post: yes, the doctor did run a test on his stool the first time and said it was clear.

It often has a gooey looking tar texture. out of the last 8 occurences I think 7 of the 8 were black in color, and 1 one was really dark brown- black color
Thank you for your answers. My reply will take several minutes- please check back in about 10 minutes.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
1 more thing... my dog also has some knots on his side and the vet said that these were normal growths that I should not be concerned about. I don't know if that information is of any importance
First, one negative stool sample does not completely rule out the possibility of intestinal parasites. Parasite eggs are shed only intermittently in the stool, so it is possible for a dog to be infected and still have a negative sample. I'd strongly recommend having a second (and maybe a third) stool sample evaluated to be certain your boy doesn't have anything. Given the appearance of the stool, hookworms would be the biggest concern. Black stool is usually evidence of bleeding in the upper intestinal tract (stomach, small intestine). The latter is where the hookworms hang out- draining a poor dog's blood and his nutrients. Untreated hookworm infections can be fatal.
Other causes of melena (black, tarry stool) are many and include:
Kidney, liver, or pancreatic disease
Foreign bodies
Inflammatory bowel disease
Addison's disease (low levels of circulating blood cortisol levels)
Bleeding disorders (to which Cockers are highly prone)
Medications (like aspirin or other non-steroidal anti-inflammatories like Rimadyl, Metacam, or Deramaxx)
Problems with the mouth or esophagus (blood here will end up in the stomach where it will be digested and turn black)
Cancer

You mentioned that he also drinks excessively at times. This can be a sign with a number of the condtions listed above. I'd strongly recommend that you have him re-evaluated with a complete physical, bloodwork, and another fecal exam. At 8 years old he is considered a senior and is therefore in an age range where we can see a number of different problems. If your current vet does not want to work him up, I'd suggest you go elsewhere. You know your dog best and if you feel something isn't right, you should pursue it.

P.S. I can't make much of a determination on the skin growths without an in-person evaluation, but Cockers are notoriously predisposed to the development of all kinds of benign lumps and bumps as they age. In general, if the masses have been present for a considerable period of time, have not changed in size or become ulcerated, then they are probably nothing to worry about.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck.