Dr. Debbie
Dr. Debbie, Veterinarian
Experience:  Full time practicing companion animal veterinarian.

my dog pants constantly and seems to be out of breath

Customer Question

my dog pants constantly and seems to be out of breath without exertion. she's having a hard time breathing and has allergies
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Debbie replied 9 years ago.

Hi Rosie:

How old is your dog?

What breed is she?

Is this a sudden onset or has it been coming on a while?

Dr. Debbie

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Debbie's Post: rosie is 9 yrs old, she's a mixed terrier and has always had allergies but not brreathing problems to this extent. she had been to the vet and was on a course of dex and ceph but stil panting
thank you

This is concerning at her age there are a couple of possibilities. Panting can be due to a fever - you can check hers by inserting a thermometer in her rectum and 100.5 to 102.5 is normal.

If it is more than panting and labored breathing, this may be due to a heart condition or a lung problem. I would get her in and let your vet listen to her heart and a chest xray may be in order. A heart problem would be the most likely thing and can show as exercise intolerance and difficulty breathing. Sometimes a cough accompanies this, sometimes not. If you think her belly looks distended, this too, can be a sign of a heart problem.

I hope this helps. If it does, please click accept. If you have more questions, let me know.

Dr. Debbie