Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

How many times can you breed a Boxer & how many years ...

Customer Question

How many times can you breed a Boxer & how many years do they
live
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 9 years ago.
HiCustomer

Boxers have a life span of 10-12 years. Everyone has differing ideas on how long a female should be bred. Almost all agree that it is also determined by whether the female has previously been breed or not. If she has never been bred before, I wouldn't breed her if she was over 5 years old. If a female is an experienced mom and has been bred several times, I will still breed her up to the age of 8 years old. Of course this is dependant on a Vet's OK that she is healthy enough to be breed.

Females can become pregnant even when very old and sometimes there isn't a problem, but often an older bred female will experience problems in whelping and have a higher chance of the puppies having problems. Like humans, a dog's eggs are present at birth and age along with the dog.

The AKC will not recognize a litter from a female that is under 8 months of age or over 12 years old unless special documentation is provided. So if you skip a heat between litters like you should and don't breed until they are 2 and don't breed after they are 8 you get about 6 litters of puppies. Some people stop after 3 litters.

I hope you find this information helpful.