Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

Is there any side effects to the distemper shot. We just ...

Is there any side effects to the distemper shot. We just got a 8 month old golden and she got all her shots from the breeder we got her from but our vet on the military base doesn't accept those shots so we got her the distemper shot again on thursday, and about a day later she began to just get moppy and lay around and just looks really weak. she moans a little if you mess with her back hips. so was wondering if this could be a side effect of the shot or if it might be because we have been walking and running her a lot since we got her. Don't know how much she got out at the breeders
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 9 years ago.
Hi Thunder,

Some dogs do not have any reaction to vaccines. Others do though. Common reactions are a mild fever, decreased appetite, and depression. Some dogs experience a swelling at the injection site. This should resolve itself without the need for vet care.

Severe reactions are sudden onset of diarrhea, vomiting, swelling of the face and non-responsiveness. If these signs occur you should contact your vet immediately.   You can read about this here:

So she does sound like some of the depression might be from the shots. However, the hip discomfort does concern me as it may indicate some dysplasia. I'd gradually increase her exercise levels just in case she wasn't exercised much. This may help prevent injury. In addition, if she still seems to be having hip discomfort or has problems getting up, I'd have her hips checked by your vet. I hope you find this information helpful.