Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

Why does my dog attempt to lick up his own urine

Customer Question

I have recently adopted a 4 month old dog. He attempts to lick up his urine when he has accidents inside. Why? How do I stop him?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 9 years ago.
Hi Michva,

This behavior could be attributed to the dog's urine having a sweet taste associated with diabetes or it could be a learned behavior from his mother. A nursing mother will ingest the feces and urine of her puppies to keep the nesting area clean. Some dogs do "learn" the behavior from thier mother. You can discourage the behavior by keeping the urine cleaned up and if you notice him start to do this, give him a correction in the form of a low toned "NO". Hopefully he will outgrow this. I would mention it to your vet when you take him in for his vaccination so he can be checked for diabetes.

I hope this information is helpful to you.