Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

Can I give my dog aspirin or tylenol for a toothache

Dog is an 18-lb. miniature poodle, 5 years old. Have been trying unsuccessfully to get an appt. with a veterinary dentist for over a week & dog seems to be in pain. Dog has wheat allergy and has had gastrointestinal problems (two incidents of projectile bloody diarrhea after two attempts (years apart) to change his diet).
Hi Poodles,

Dogs should never be given tylenol, motrin, ibuprofen, advil or aleve. The only safe over the counter medication for pain would be aspirin. Buffered aspirin can be given to a dog with a dosage of up to 5-10 mg per pound every 12 hours. Keep in mind that a dog's body does not metabolize aspirin in the same way as a human and thus should not be given more than a day or two without contacting your Vet. Read side effects and precautions here.
http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/acetylsalicylic-acid-aspirin/page1.aspx

Hopefully you have an appointment set up for the near future as aspirin can with prolonged use cause bleeding as well and we don't want to see him vomiting blood again. I hope this information is helpful to you.