Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

How long does distemper live on surfaces like grass, floor etc?

I had a puppy with distemper here at home a month ago she died. I wish to get another dog how long does distemper live on surfaces eg grass, carpet, wood & tile floors. Is it safe to bring in another dog who has shots but still needs a final round of puppy shots?

Normal disinfection and cleaning will kill the distemper virus. Normal disinfectants and cleaners kill distemper, so disinfecting carpet cleaner should do the job on carpets and sofas. It also does not live that long in the environment and is usually gone in a few weeks.
You can read about it here:

I suggest cleaning everything down well with a bleach solution (1 part bleach to 30 parts water). This should disinfect it well enough to prevent infection of a new puppy.

I hope this information is helpful to you.