NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics

How can you tell if a puppy is born blind. We have one ...

How can you tell if a puppy is born blind. We have one that has a light film on one eye.when looking at the puppy one eye is a dark clear color. The other eye is very cloudy looking. We are wondering if the pup is blind or if there could be something else wrong like what?
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 9 years ago.
This film could be due to an eye infection or corneal injury. I would have the pup checked by a vet as it may be that eye meds will help clear this up.
You can read about eye issues in dogs here
A common cause of an eye issue is one pup sticking a toenail in the other pup's eye while pushing to nurse on mom. Hairs sticking into the eye area is another common issue.
Hope this helps you!
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: Do you have any more pictures of bling eyes in pups or other related articles?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
The pup I am considering is a chihwawa
Expert:  NancyH replied 9 years ago.
If you are considering buying this puppy I would wait and find a healthy one instead or one where the breeder cares enough to get medical attention for pups with a health issue as you should not have to guess if the pup is healthy or not the breeder should be sure it is based on vet care.
There are more pictures here of eye issues
and you may find more off this site
If this is your puppy I'd advise a vet visit.
and if you are looking for a chihuahua pup check out for ones in shelters and needing homes near you.