Theresa, A Voice for Your Pet
Experience:  19+ years experience in small animal medicine

What can we do if our dog licked raw chicken juice

she's throwing up the next day
Category: Dog
Expert:  Theresa replied 9 years ago.

How long was the juice out before she licked it? Did it have time to go bad?

How is she acting?

How often is she vomiting?

Is she still eating?

Thank you

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Theresa's Post: The chicken had been in a cooler all day at a picnic. She got a lick or two of the juice that had fallen on the floor. (By the way, she weighs 12 lbs. She's a lhasa-poo.)
She ate her dinner last night. Has not eaten or drank anything today.
She threw up probably an ounce today. Then dry heaves a few times. This is probably about 14 hrs. after she got the juice.
Expert:  Theresa replied 9 years ago.

What else did she get at the picnic?

Anyone offer her some snacks? Hotdogs? Fried chicken? Hamburger?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Theresa's Post: She wasn't at the picnic (she was home). It was when we were unpacking that the chicken had dripped. She didn't get any unusual food yesterday, except for maybe a "lick" of a candy-coated malted milk ball that I found which she discovered on my sister's floor.
She is acting not too bad today, she's moving around, going to the door, responding to people, etc. We were just wondering if we should give her something for her stomach.
Expert:  Theresa replied 9 years ago.

Okay, just making sure.

Yes, you can give her some pepcid. I would give her one tablet now and then tomorrow only give her a half tablet. Pull all food and only offer her ice chips for the rest of the day. Tomorrow I would start feeding her a small amount of boiled chicken and white rice. If she isn't better by tomorrow I would take her into the vet to be sure that the chicken juice wasn't contaminated by that time with bacteria that could have made her ill.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Theresa's Post: Thank you so much. We really wanted to know if we should be doing something! We appreciate your help!