Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  I have over 20 years experience in small animal and emergency veterinary medicine

my chihuahua has become lethargic, no appetite, not ...

my chihuahua has become lethargic, no appetite, not drinking, bm have gone from dark semi-loose to no bm, lies around and shakes like shivering, no temp, doesn't want covered as in being cold ????
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 years ago.

Can you tell me how old your dog is?

Has there been any vomiting?

Could he/she have gotten into anything - garbage, something outside, chewed up a toy?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
BD 10/04
no vomiting
possibly trash but we have a Min Pin who has been ill recently with a liver DO of some kind,awaiting bx results, they have ate same food, same trash if any, we also have a Siamese cat not sick,
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
none of them go outside, i did try sugar water, someone had said they can have low BS, but no help, his lethargy has gone from just being slow and less interested in running around to not moving around nearly zero, he can move and walk but seems to prefer to lie and then he just shiver/shakes
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
his stools were dark, mucousy,and extremely foul smelling as of yesterday, none today
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 years ago.

Most things that would affect the liver are not directly contagious, although there are a few exceptions to that. It is possible that both dpgs ate something that could be causing similar illnesses though. The symptoms you are describing are fairly general, and just tell me that your little one is not feeling well - they are not specific enough to suggest any particular diagnosis. The shaking/shivering can be a pain response, nervousness, fever, or just a very general sign of not feeling well. The same is true of lethargy. The fact that she hasn't had a bowel movement is probably just because she is not eating well.

Because this is a very small breed of dog, and she has not been eating and drinking, I am concerned that she could become dehydrated very quickly. Also, the very small breeds are more susceptible to hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) although that would be more likey in puppies rather than adult dogs. Giving the sugar water was a good thing to try, but since it didn't make much difference, the symptoms you are seeing are probably not due to low blood sugar.

If this is something that has been going on for more than 12 hours or if she seems like she is getting worse (more lethargic, weaker) then it would be a good idea to have her checked out by a vet. I know we are going into the holiday weekend and that this may require a trip to the emergency clinic which will be more expensive, but because she is such a little dog , it is better to err on the side of safety and have her seen sooner rather than later. It is likely they will want to do some blood work and possibly take some x-rays so they can figure out better what is going on, and then get her started on the proper medication so she can get feeling better soon.

I hope this answers your question. If so, plese click Accept. If you need more information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
we are taking him in the morning to the vet but your answer does help in trying to understand why he would be doing the shaking/shivering. i have been attempting to force some water via 1cc syr, and blood work will most definitely help, we've been to VA Tech with the Min Pin just last week so I guess we will get our work out with this one also, but again I can rest a little tonight and maybe watch for some of the reasons you've mentioned for possibly shaking. Thank You
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 years ago.

I am concerned with the fact that you describe that the lethargy has progressed - if that hs occurred over the past 12 hours or so, be sure to keep a very close eye on him during the night - if it continues to worsen, he could get into a crisis situation before morning.

As I mentioned, the shivering can be caused by a variety of things and is not a specific sign of anything in particular - just one more "not feeling well" symptom.

I'm glad to hear you are planning to have him checked out in the morning - hopefully he will be okay until then, but do check on him during the night.