Patricia, Pet Consultant
Experience:  Several yrs. exp. with all types of pets, specializing in parrot care and behavior.

My dog has a cut near its eye. What can I put on it ...

Customer Question

My dog has a cut near its eye. What can I put on it to help keep the dirt out and help the healing process?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Patricia replied 9 years ago.
Hello. It really depends on how deep the cut is. You can safely "flush" it with hydrogen peroxide. But since it's near his eye, instead of pouring it over as we would on a wound elsewhere, I'd suggest using cotton balls, soaked but not dripping and gently swab the area. Use a clean one for each swipe. If the wound is not real deep, Neosporin is safe to use. The reason you would not want to use it on a deep wound is because it is so effective, both as an antibiotic and as a healing agent. If a wound is too deep, the Neosporin can cause the surface to heal over before the underlying tissues have healed. If that happens, it can lead to serious infections and much bigger problems than just the cut itself. If it's very deep, it's best just to keep it clean with the hydrogen peroxide, swabbing it several times a day. When you are sure the underlying tissues are infection free and healing, you can then start adding a thin layer of Neosporin. I hope this helps but if you have any more questions, just let us know. Patricia