NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics

My dogs ears are black around the tips of them and

Customer Question

My dog's ears are black around the tips of them and her hair is coming off of them. I am not sure what mange looks like and was wondering if what is on my dog's ears is mange and if so how can I treat it?
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 9 years ago.
Yes this might be mange and you can read about this here
Goodwinol cream is often suggested but your vet may have another solution for you if this is mange.
Another possibility I've found in dogs with ear edge dermatitis is that worming for whipworms sometimes clears up the ear issue. The worms can steal enough nutrition to cause the problem.
Also in some breeds there is an inherited problem with blood vessels that causes an ear edge issue.
So before treating - I'd have the vet tell you what the problem really is.
Hope this helps you!