Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

why do my dogs lick each others in the mouth

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 9 years ago.

Submissive members of a "pack" lick the "alpha" members of their pack. They will also groom them and fawn over them. This is your dog's way of showing you she acknowledges the other dog's elevated position. Sometimes the alpha dog will acknowledge the behavior with a lick of their own.

Puppies will sometimes do this to mothers to try and trigger a vomiting effect as well. Licking can be a sign of an upset stomach as well. And an upset stomach could have many causes such as a fatty treat, eating grass, separation anxiety, etc.

This behavior can also be a form of Pica if it is done in excess. Pica is an obssessive compultion. In the case of licking it may be rooted deep in your dog’s puppyhood especially if your dog was taken away from its mother early. It is believed to be behavioral. Below are two sites talking about this issue.

I hope this helped.