Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

My dog just ate part of a dead squirrel. What should I do

My dog just ate part of a dead squirrel. What should I do? She seems fine, just smelly.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 9 years ago.

What part of the squirrel did the dog eat?
Do you know if your dog killed the squirrel or was the squirrel already dead?
How old is your dog?
What breed is your dog?
Is your dog up to date on their rabies vaccination?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
The squirrel was already dead and buried in some grass. My dog is and 11 year old Griffon, and her rabies are up to date. I don't think my dog ate much of the squirrel, just carried it in her mouth for a few minutes until I got rid of it. Thank you!
Hi Mmcgui,

If your dog is up to date on his vaccinations, then your dog should be ok, but it is recommended you call your vet and inform him of the contact and see if a booster is necessary.   Rabies are normally contracted by a bite or bodily fluids so it shouldn't be a problem if he had been dead for awhile. You can read about rabies here:

However, your dog might develop vomiting and diarrhea from the sudden change in diet. Your dog might also get an intestinal obstruction. You can read about this here:

If you notice symptoms of an intestinal blockage you should have him seen by your vet. Most likely he will be fine though. I hope this information is helpful to you.