NancyH
NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics
127115

congested and runny nose in dog

My 4 lb. yorkie has had a congested and runny nose for at least 14 days. She has had chest X-rays and it showed congestion for that she was given an injection to reduce swelling, the chest cogestion went away, however she still has the congested and runny nose. She has had various antiobics in injection and in conjection with aerosol. Gets better but continues with symptons. Today she had blood in her nasal discharge. She has not had a head or neck x-ray
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 9 years ago.
How old is your dog?
Do her teeth look covered in tartar?
Does she go out and run around on lawn or in weeds etc?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: She is 10 months old. No, she does not have tartar she is a puppy. She does not go outside in the lawn. She only goes out if she is going to the vet. Her shots are up-to-date, she is only missing her rabies shot.
Expert:  NancyH replied 9 years ago.
Thanks for the extra info - it eliminated some possibilities!
With such a young dog I'd suspect an infection with a virus such as either kennel cough
www.marvistavet.com/html/body_kennel_cough.html
or canine influenza
www.marvistavet.com/html/body_canine_influenza.html
As the infection has gone on so long I'd suspect canine influenza as the most likely problem as it lingers on for weeks in some cases.
It may be the congestion triggered the nose bleed. You can read about nose bleeds here
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_epistaxis__the_bloody_nose.html
You can see if some Robitussin DM will help the dog breathe better and control any cough or sneezing or runny nose. Read here about cautions and dose info
http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/dextromethorphan-robitussin-dm/page1.aspx
There are no preventative shots for canine influenza. Last year all my dogs had this and while some dogs just sneezed a few times and were fine others got extremely ill and congested and needed changes of antibiotics and even in a couple of cases nebulizer treatments to recover.
I did use the Robitussin with them which helped.
Some dogs were over the bug in two weeks and some it was nearly 5-6 weeks before they were really better.
Hope this helps you!
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: Nancy, her vet has given her aerosol with an antibiotic?? Does that exist? My question is can I give her aerosol at home, how often and dosage. (I have an aerosol machine. Or is it better to give her the aerosol at the Dr.s? I am also giving her vitamin supplement do I continue and least. When she had a blood test a couple of weeks ago, it didn't show an infection, how can she have influenza? Thanks
Expert:  NancyH replied 9 years ago.
I would ask your vet how to do the aerosol at home as that might be less stressful for her.
Nebulizer treatments are a way to breath in meds to the impacted lung area. Often these are to open airways.
I would continue her vitamins as her body is used to getting them.
Canine influenza is a viral infection, a bacterial infection often comes secondary to the viral infection and that is what makes the dog the most congested.
If your vet has diagnosed her with collapsing trachea or an airway or heart disease that is something else and from your question I am not sure what you were told about your dog's illness by your vet.