NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics

my 4 week old toy poodle puppy constantly wines not ...

Customer Question

my 4 week old toy poodle puppy constantly wines not barks and I have never seen it poop, but it does pee, is there a problem with the puppy?
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 9 years ago.
Do you have the mother?
If not why do you have such a young puppy and how long have you had it?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: The puppy is still nursing and is very bloaded, I thought it was just a fat puppy since it was the largest of all the 4 that she had. Unfortunately, 3 died within 24 to 48 hours. This puppy was the biggest and has continued to get bigger, for a toy poodle it has very large paws and a very large head and body. It does not walk very much, it seems to walk like a drunk and he wines when he is a wake and not nursing, but he does sleep and he still nurses.
Expert:  NancyH replied 9 years ago.
Thanks for the info - makes a difference in what the problems are likely to be!
I would consider having the vet check him for worms as that can cause both the bloated stomach and the whining.
Sorry to hear you lost the other pups - its one of the hardest things in breeding!
Don't worry about the pup seeming big at this age as I find singleton toy breed pups, who are getting all the nutrition from mom, often look oversized, but once they are done nursing their growth rate slows and you end up with a normal pup.
Mom is probably still cleaning up the stools which is why you don't see them.
But there are situations where pups can get a twist of the intestine or a telescoping of the intestine causing bloating, cessation of passing stool, and pain for the pup which would lead to whining.
You might want to consider getting a vet check up for the pup and an x-ray to make sure the intestines do not look overly full of stool (though the vet may be able to just palpate that as well). And the vet can probably get a stool sample when taking the pup's temp and check and see if this is a parasite issue. If the pup has worms don't forget to worm mom too.
Hope this helps you!