Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  I have over 20 years experience in small animal and emergency veterinary medicine

my dog keeps peeing in the house and drinking a lot of ...

Customer Question

my dog keeps peeing in the house and drinking a lot of water. this is not like her. she usually only goes to the bathroom when i let her out. this peeing issue started a few weeks ago. is it possible she has diabeties?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 years ago.

Yes, diabetes is common in dogs and does cause increased water consumption and increased urination and frequently results in urinary accidents in the household. It is only one of several conditions in dogs (usually older dogs) that result in increased water consumption and urination though.

I would recommend having your dog examined by a vet and having some blood work done as this is always the first step in trying to make a diagnosis in these cases. Know that many of the conditions that have these sympotms are very treatable, so the sooner a diagnosis is made, the sooner the problem can be gotten under control.

I hope this answers your question. If so, please click Accept. If you need more information, please let me know.