Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

why doesnt my dog greet me at the door

Customer Question

my dog stays on the bed when i get home and does not greet me at the door
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 9 years ago.

Did your dog used to meet you at the door?
How old is your dog?
What breed is your dog?
Is this your bed your dog is on?
What sex is the dog?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Jane Lefler's Post: I've only had my dog for about a month - he was originally a rescue, but was fostered for a year. For the first few days I had him he met me at the door, but hasn't since. He's a 3 year old male chihuahua/pug mix. Yes, the dog remains on my bed, which seems to be where he spends most of his time when I'm gone. I really just wasn't sure if this was normal behavior. Thank you very much!

If you go into your bedroom and say high to him when you get home, then he has no need to come to the door to meet you. If you don't go int the bedroom and instead go elsewhere in the house, then he would need to get up to greet you. If he is a dominant dog, he is also not likely to greet you at the door. If this is the cause, a good obedience class would be in order and making your dog do things such as sitting before being fed, walks, treats and even affection. This would help establish you as the boss. But many dogs once they know your routine will just wait for you to get to them. I had a dog that knew I would be going into the kitchen before I took her out for her walk, so she would not go to the door until I exited the kitchen.

I hope this information is helpful to you.