Vet Tech Amy
Vet Tech Amy, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Veterinary Technician 5 years, pet owner, 10 years in the animal field

I have an Irish Wolfhound Newfoundland mix she is 11 ...

Customer Question

I have an Irish Wolfhound Newfoundland mix she is 11 months old and had hydrogousa's (bursas) on both elbows about the size of baseballs. What is usually the treatment for those?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Vet Tech Amy replied 9 years ago.

Dogs can get what is called Hygromas.
What this means is a build up of fluid from constant friction of the bone against the elbow tissue- a result of laying on hard surfaces. It is a natural way for the body to compensate for the pressure. These hygromas can ulcerate and become infected. You can help by making your dog lay on softer surfaces or designing elbow protective clothing or apparatus. I know a lady who made some sort of elbow suspenders that strapped across the dogs back and resembled 2 cuffs to go over the elbows.

There are a few treatment options depending on the severity of the hygroma. Some will naturally recede if the pet stays off of the elbow, others require injections, antibiotics or even surgery.

The links I provided will give you additional information and show some pictures.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need additional information.
Best wishes,