Terri Riba
Terri Riba, Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in canine health and behavior. 20 years of experience with dogs
437368

i think my dog has a broken tailbone, how can i be ...

Customer Question

i think my dog has a broken tailbone, how can i be sure and how can i fix it? her tail use to arc aboneve her back now it just haNGS BETWEEN HER HIND LEGS, AND HHER REAR END seems to be sensitive
Category: Dog
Expert:  Terri Riba replied 9 years ago.

Dear friend,

Unfortunately, this is only something that can be ascertained via an xray. The tail is an extention of the spine and contains bones, discs and vertibrae. Any spinal injury can bring on ths symptoms. Even impacted anal gands can be a cause. If she is not spayed a uterine infection is also possible.

Try applying very warm compresses or a heating pad (on warm) to the back and tail. I am hoping she will improve but if she does not you will have to have her seen by a vet.

Please let me know how she is. If you still have questions I will be happy to help.

Very sincerely,

Terri