Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 16+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

My dog keeps licking his private area, he does this like ...

Customer Question

My dog keeps licking his private area, he does this like normal dogs, but just today he cannot keep from doing it. I have inspected the area and it looks like its is pink and swollen, I dont know if thats from him licking or if something is wrong?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 6 years ago.
HiCustomer

This excessive licking could indicate a urinary tract infection, or an infection of the prepuce or a stuck penis. Common symptoms of a urinary tract infection are frequent urination, dribbling urine, blood in the urine, squatting frequently to urinate, strong odor to the urine, inappropriate urination and straining to urinate as well as an increase in fluid intake. A dog with a UTI does not always show all the symptoms and typically displays 2 or 3.

A dog with an infection of the prepuce may exhibit a discharge, but if the dog is constantly licking the area, you may not see it. Your vet would be able to examine the area and let you know for sure. You can pull back the sheath and clean it with an antibiotic soap and rinse it well. This may provide relief unti you can see the vet.

And finally, perhaps the penis is stuck causing the licking. This sometimes happens to male dogs. It may be due to the bulbous glands in the penis swelling outside of the outer skin (prepuce). This makes it hard for the penis to return to its normal position inside the prepuce. Or the hairs of the prepuce may have become caught preventing its retraction. This can cause problems if it is not corrected. You can try putting a little lubrication on the penis such as KY jelly and gently roll the prepuce back and forth and see if the penis will return to it’s normal position.

You can also make a saturated solution of sugar water using warm water. Mix the sugar into hot water until some sugar is left after mixing. Take a hand towel and soak it well and place it on the exposed penis. Be sure it is not too hot. This will sometime draw the fluid out of the bulbous gland and reduce the swelling allowing the penis to retract. If the penis stays erect, you should have him seen by the vet. The vet may have to put the dog under anesthetize to lubricate and return the penis to it’s normal position.

I hope this information is helpful to you.