Jessica
Jessica, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Licensed Veterinary Tech with 7 years experience in small animal practice
4591073

my dog has very bad breath and is always smacking his mouth ...

my dog has very bad breath and is always smacking his mouth together like he has dry mouth
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jessica replied 7 years ago.
Hi there! Sounds like your doggie friend needs his mouth examined by a vet. Here are some common reasons for bad breath (and even sometimes lip smacking!):

1.) Bad teeth that hurt and need to be extracted;
2.) Stomatitis (mouth inflammation);
3.) Foreign body or piece of food stuck in the mouth somewhere;
4.) Infection in the mouth ( i.e. abscess with pus..tastes yucky!);
5.) General poor dental hygiene.
6.) Tumor in the mouth (esp. under the tongue)--worst case scenario.
7.) Smacking lips due to dehydration--if gums are tacky or dry instead of moist, this may be part of the problem.

If your dog will let you look in his mouth, do so. Do you see lots of plaque and tartar on the teeth? Do the gums look pink and healthy or red and irritated (may even be bleeding)? Can you detect any bumps or lumps in the mouth that were not there before? Also, some breeds of dogs have nastier mouths than others, such as Chihuahuas, Greyhounds, Yorkies...any dog can have nasty mouths but these breeds are notorious! Dentals performed by your vet annually will help keep your buddy's mouth clean and teeth healthy. Hope you figure out what is going on! See your vet soon, good luck! :-)
Experience: Licensed Veterinary Tech with 7 years experience in small animal practice
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
how do you get the dog to drink if he is dehidrated.we rescued the dog from the shelter and he was abused. i dont think he likes to go near water.
Expert:  Jessica replied 7 years ago.
Is the dog new to you? If so, it may take him a few days to adjust to the new home. You can try offering him very cool, fresh water (measure out a cup or so), and then later in the day remeasure it to see how much of that cup he has drank. If he isn't drinking much during the day, he needs to be seen by a vet to determine why he isn't interested in water. He may need fluid therapy (either IV or subcutaneously--under the skin) if he is really dehydrated. If you pinch the skin of his neck scruff and it kind of stands up and doesn't snap back (like a rubber band would), he is dehydrated. Either way, a vet can help you determine why this could be. Hope this helps!!