Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator

Sheltie:, he simply sat on the grass

Customer Question

My normally energetic six year old Sheltie (mini-Collie) started with some pretty unusual symptoms today. I first noticed his lack of energy when I put him outside; usually, he runs and barks and jumps like a puppy. But, today, he simply sat on the grass and waited for me to bring him in. I haven't seen him eat or drink anything today, and while he usually doesn't do either very often in my presense, I do see him drink occasionally. He had a cold in his eye earlier this week, and it looked as though it had started to flare up again this afternoon; his nose is dry and warm, and he seems to be limping on his right back leg. He doesn't come when he's called, which is VERY unusual for him. There is a thick-yellowish discharge coming from his genital area, and while it doesn't look like puss, it doesn't look like urine.

I plan on taking him to the vet, but I'd like to have an idea as to what's wrong before I bring him in.

Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 9 years ago.

HI andryK,

It sounds as if the dog has some type of urinary tract infection. That would have the dog listless and not interested in food.

Another cause, if the dog is intact ,could be the start of prostatitis which is an infection of the prostate gland.