Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

how do i know if my male dog has had sex

Customer Question

my dog has been in kennals, (getting obiediance trained) he is a black labrador 12mths old. he has came back and been sulky. he is trying to mate with towels, bedcovers, people's legs, etc. he wasn't like this 3 weeks ago before he went to the kennals. so is there a way i can find out if he has mated with a bitch. he has not been neutered.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 9 years ago.
Hi Wishy,

There really is no way of telling after the fact if your male dog has mated with another dog. His behavior could be due to a few different things. He may have an infection of the prepuce (sheath) which can cause this behavior. He could also be exhibiting dominant behavior. Males will do this to claim objects as their own. And he could be exhibiting this behavior as a result of smelling a female dog in heat and being unable to mate. If he is also excessively licking his privates it could be an infection causing the behavior.

If this continues to occur, I would have him checked over by your vet to rule out an infection. If you feel it is a dominance issue, you will need to discourage this behavior by practicing his obedience training to establish you and the family members as the boss.

If there is a female in heat around, you may have to keep him crated to avoid the behavior.

I hope this information is helpful to you.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
isnt there a test that the vet can do?

If your vet was to test the sperm for maturity, count, etc, he may be able to determine if the dog mated excessively, but a one time mating would be hard to prove especially since it may have occured anytime in the past 3 weeks. You can read about canine sperm mobility, age and depletion here: