Gina, Breeder and Health Care Specialist
Experience:  20+ years experience in animal health care. Hobby breeder of Olde English Mastiffs and owned by an English Bulldog.

dog: has been lethargic all day and his nose is hot and dry

My dog has been lethargic all day and his nose is hot and dry. Does this mean he has a fever and should I give him a human fever reducer if so before getting him to a vet in a few hours?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Gina replied 9 years ago.

The only way to know for sure if your dog has a fever is to take his temperature rectally. You can do so by lubricating the end of a thermometer, inserting into the rectum 1/2 inch and hold for 2 minutes. Normal is 100-102.5. Fever reducers like Tylenol and Motrin are toxic and should not be given. If he does have a fever, you can use cool towels to get it lowered, but I wouldn't recommend any medications (buffered aspirin is the only safe OTC pain reliever/fever reducer for dogs...5mg per pound of body weight every 12 hours with food, should you need to know for future reference) as you don't know what is making him ill. I am glad to see you are taking him to the vet in a few hours to see why he is acting lethargic. Until then, you can help him maintain hydration using plain pedialyte if you have it available. Please do let me know how you make out, but botXXXXX XXXXXne is, if his nose is hot and dry, it just means that the air lacks humidity, and does not indicate body temperature. :)

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thank you.. I feel better knowing the nose thing isn't necessarily a fever and I really appreciate the prompt reply!