Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

what does it mean my female dog is bleeding from the groin heavily

Customer Question

my dog is bleeding from the crotch
she is nine years old
dehydrated
she is not fixed
never had puppies
shots not up to date
not really interested in food
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 9 years ago.
Hi Wheezy,

If she has heavy bleeding from the vulva and she is not in heat, then I would suspect pyometra. Pyometra generally occurs 60-70 days after a heat cycle. It is usually seen in older unspayed females but can be seen in any age. It is diagnosed by ultrasound showing fluid in the uterus. There are two types of Pyometra (open and closed cervix) Symptoms of open cervix Pyometra are a vaginal discharge that may be pus or bloody, lethargy, anorexia, increased thirst and urination, vomiting and diarrhea, and abdominal swelling though the dog remains fairly healthy due to the infection draining from the body. Closed cervix Pyometra symptoms are the same without much of a discharge, they appear very ill, there is usually weight loss and abdominal swelling and is much more extreme. Dehydration, shock and death can occur if not treated aggressively.
http://petcare.suite101.com/article.cfm/pyometra

Pyometra is considered an emergency and your female should be seen as soon as possible. I hope this information is helpful to you.