Cheryl K.
Cheryl K., shelter volunteer
Experience:  14+ years of shelter work/ vaccinations/ disease/ illness/ injury/ medical care
237255

my shih-tzu has diarrhea. it started out as soft stool and ...

Customer Question

my shih-tzu has diarrhea. it started out as soft stool and has now turned thru the day into a liquid stool. Just now it is like black ink. He seems to act okay, except he is mad at me for giving him some pepto bismol. what else can I do? I am scared to death and I can not afford the emergency vet here in Pensacola.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Cheryl K. replied 10 years ago.
Try feeding a bland diet of cooked rice, cottage cheese, or boiled chicken or hamburger to see if this seems to help lessen the diarrhea.Continue with the Pepto at a dosage rate on 1 teaspoon three times daily but if this does not show signs of improvement and you cannot afford the emergency veterinarian try going to www.carecredit.com and applying for financial help through them as this would allow you to get him the help he needs as the black color can suggest bleeding in the upper GI tract and can turn serious if this does not relieve itself. Wait three to four hours to allow his intestional tract to recover before starting the bland diet and also push fluids as much as possible if this continues to help prevent dehydration and please let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Cheryl K.'s Post: too late. i don't accept. Stayed up for a long time to get answer. it said it would be answered within 2 hours.