Gina, Breeder and Health Care Specialist
Experience:  20+ years experience in animal health care. Hobby breeder of Olde English Mastiffs and owned by an English Bulldog.

I found an odd looking bug that is attached to my dogs I ...

Customer Question

I found an odd looking bug that is attached to my dog I wanna say skin but at the same time looks like his coat, very near his skin. I tried pulling and he became very unconfortable, I noticed his skin was red in color on the site. Now this "bug" was sort of a dark beige in color somewhat medium in size and i noticed as I looked closer its legs were kinda on the red side. I cant seem to remove this thing off of my dog and when i try to he becomes very uncomfortable. Should I be worried more than I already am. I've never even seen such bug I dont even know what it is I dont wanna pull it out and it be something serious that requires vet attention. Help!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Gina replied 9 years ago.

It sounds like your dog has a tick. I am going to post a link below to tell you how to remove this, BUT make sure you remove all of it. These nasty little buggers can separate their bodies from thier heads so USE TWEEZERS please. :) If the head stays, please see your vet so it can be removed. Also, ticks can cause Lyme Disease. I will also post a site that will go into that further for you. Let me know if you need further help with this.

How To Remove a Tick

Good luck with your baby. :)