Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

What are these bumps on my dogs neck

Customer Question

My Boxer has a cluster of small hard pimple like bumps on each side of her neck, what could this be?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 9 years ago.

HiCustomer

Can you tell me how old the Boxer is?

Are there any around the mouth area?

How .far are they in relations to the mouth?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Sally Grott's Post: She is 2.5 years old. There are none near/on her mouth. They start on the jaw (over the muscular area of the jaw hinge) about an inch back from her mouth(lips). The are on the skin surface not through her fur. They are dark flesh colored. (not red). There is a small cluster of several of these bumps on each side of her jaw and slightly down her neck. Also one or two of them (solo) on her chest that are a bit larger.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 9 years ago.

Thank you for that information. Boxers are prone to acne and it usually starts during puberty however there could be reoccuring episodes later in life. I am going to direct you to a site regarding this and there is a picture at the top of the page for you to compare with your dog. There is also information on how to treat it if it is acne. please read all three pages to get the full information.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/acne-in-dogs/page1.aspx

There are other things to rule out such as demodicosis which is a contagious type of mange,and ringworm (which is actually a fungus not a worm.) along with a fungal infections. In order to determine the above, a skin scraping may have to be done.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/skin-scraping/page1.aspx

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Sally Grott's Post: I am familiar with Acne on dogs in general and with boxers. These bump do not seem to be Acne at all. The are away from the face. Not on her jowls, cheeks, lips, chin, under her mouth, or anywhere else that acne is usually seen in dogs. It also does not look like acne. They are behind the jaw and on the neck away from the face and on her chest as well. Thank you for the info though, If you have any other thoughts, please let me know. If they do not go away in a few days I will take her to the Vet.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 9 years ago.
Is there any itching?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
No she is not scratching at all... and she does not have fles. Does not seem to bother her... I just noticed that they were there a few days ago.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 9 years ago.

I was thinking more of an allergic reaction to food or seasonal, however with no scratching this would not be the cause. I have found a site on lumps and bumps if you would like to read through it. I am also going to direct your question to another expert to see if someone else has seen this before.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/skin-growth-lump-swelling-or-mass-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thank you... Please be in touch if you find anything else out.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 9 years ago.
I just heard from a vet tech who thinks it sounds like moles, however believes they should be checked.