NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics

will my female dogs nipple swelling decrease after heat

when my great dane went into her first heat in march, her nipples swelled of course, well 2 of them have not decreased in swelling and are still huge and ugly. Will they stay that way forever?
You may see them go down some more once she is past the stage of a false pregnancy.
You can read about false pregnancies in dogs here
Hope this helps you!
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: I had never heard of this "false pregnancy" thing before.... If she bled in March, how much longer would she be in this "false pregnancy" stage?
Not all dogs are really obvious with the hormonal changes of a false pregnancy but most go through it. Usually it lasts about the same as a real pregnancy. Some dogs even take toys and pretend they are puppies!
Count about 9 weeks from the middle of her heat cycle (which lasts 3 weeks usually) and that would be 'birth time' so I'd suspect during June you may see a change and then she will come in heat again probably in September or October.