Vet Tech Amy
Vet Tech Amy, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Veterinary Technician 5 years, pet owner, 10 years in the animal field

My dog pulled her nail completely out and it's hanging ...

My dog pulled her nail completely out and it's hanging by a small piece of cuticle. My vet stated that I can just yank it off since I got the bleeding to stop. I would like my dog to be comfortable and asleep when i do this. I know valium is used to help sedate dogs. i have 1 mg tablets for when I fly. What is a safe amount to give a 85 lb rottweiler to help her go to sleep?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Vet Tech Amy replied 9 years ago.

Valium is used for dogs as a muscle relaxant or for seizures or anxiety. It is used in combination with other drugs for sedating. A dog that size would get 5 to 8 mg according to weight. That being said, some dogs metabolize the drug differently and underlying medical conditions can enhance the drug as well. You should not achieve full sedation at home since that means the dog will be unresponsive. I understand your wanting to prevent causing your dog additional harm but Valium is a controlled substance and should not be given to a dog that has not been screened.
An alternative would be to use benedryl (75mg.) Again, this will not completely sedate your dog but can make her feel groggy.
If you have help and the nail is hanging by a small piece, you can quickly pull the hanging piece off in a snatching motion or if the piece is hanging far enough away from the paw, it can be cut. The reason the vet suggested that is because it is often less painful when pulling tan trying to manipulate scissors or clippers around an already sore nail (quick).
Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need additional information.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.

Is dogs nails attched to any skin or is it just the cuticle that is holding it in place. It looks to be completely out of the hole and is turned sideways. Is it safe just to yank it off?

If it is completely out, then it is likely just a piece of the nail. In most cases there is not any tissue involved.

It is safe to yank it off. It is scary I know, but it is true. Even as a technician, I get worried when I have to do it so that feeling is normal. The part of the nail that is left (the "quick") is sore and the vibration from the pulling of the nail can be tender but that is why you pull so fast. I can honestly say that I have pulled over 100 nails and the most response I have gotten was a cry for a second- then its over. Most of the time, they do not even make a noise. If the nail was left, it will constantly pull and hurt the nail so you really are helping her.
Let me know how you make out.